AFTERBOARDLCGGAME'S Fan Content Policy:
We (that’s Afterboardlcggame) are continuously amazed at our Community’s creativity and engagement. We love that you enjoy creating and sharing Fan Content (that’s the stuff you make) and we want to encourage you to continue to create and share your stuff!
You probably have a lot of questions about what you can and can’t do with Afterboardlcggame intellectual property (IP), so we summoned our law mages to put together this Fan Content Policy and FAQ. We hope that you understand that any restrictions in this Fan Content Policy are intended to protect Wizards and its games. We’ve got to protect our IP if we want to keep the lights on!
In short, your use of Afterboardlcggames’ IP in your Fan Content is governed by the same rules you learned on the playground: share freely, keep it clean, and don’t hurt others.
That means we ask you follow these rules:
1) One word: F-R-E-E. You can use Afterboardlcggames’ IP (except for the restrictions listed in #3) to make Fan Content that you share with the community for free. Free means FREE:
You can’t require payments, surveys, downloads, subscriptions, or email registration to access your Fan Content;
You can’t sell or license your Fan Content to any third parties for any type of compensation; and
Your Fan Content must be free for others (including Afterboardlcggame) to view, access, share, and use without paying you anything, obtaining your approval, or giving you credit.
You can, however, subsidize your Fan Content by taking advantage of sponsorships, ad revenue, and donations—so long as it doesn’t interfere with the Community’s access to your Fan Content.
2) Tell the Community it’s unofficial. Make it clear that your Fan Content is not endorsed or sponsored by Afterboardlcggame—i.e., unofficial. Please include a note with your Fan Content explaining that:
“[Title of your Fan Content] is unofficial Fan Content permitted under the Fan Content Policy. Not approved/endorsed by Afterboardlcggame. Portions of the materials used are property of Afterboardlcggame©.
3) Don’t hurt others. Please respect other people’s IP. If you don’t have the rights to use another person’s stuff in your Fan Content—don’t. If we learn that your Fan Content also includes other people’s IP (e.g., crossovers/mashups) without their permission, we may ask you to take it down.
4) Don’t hurt Afterboardlcggame. We ask that you refrain from doing any of the following:
- Don’t use Afterboardlcgame’ logos and trademarks. We’ve included a list of our most frequently asked-about trademarks in the FAQ;
- Don’t mess with the legal notices in our stuff. If the Afterboardlcggame IP you are incorporating into your Fan Content already has copyright notices, logos, trademarks, or other notices existing within it, don’t remove them;
- Don’t use Afterboardlcggame’ IP in other games. This includes your own or other people’s games or game components (e.g., rule books, tokens, figures), regardless of whether it is distributed for free;
- Don’t use Afterboardlcggame’ Video or Music in your Fan Content. We know our video trailers are awesome, but use of our videos and music are governed by contracts with third parties. Please don’t use any of our video or music content, unless you’re embedding a video from an authorized third-party’s website (e.g., Twitch or YouTube);
5) No bad stuff.We have the right to stop or restrict your use of Afterboardlcggames’ IP at any time—for any reason or no reason—including when we think your use is inappropriate, offensive, damaging, or disparaging (and we’ll make that call in our sole discretion). If this happens, you must immediately take down your Fan Content.
6) Practice safe sponsorship. We understand that great Fan Content can sometimes require special equipment (e.g., videos, podcasts, prop fabrication). We are OK with you using third-party sponsors to subsidize costs if you follow a few rules:
- Don’t use a sponsor that would be harmful to Afterboardlcggame. Please don’t promote our competitors or endorse inappropriate or offensive sponsors;
- Make it clear (verbally or visually) that they are acting as a sponsor only;
- Keep any shout-outs, mentions, and credits to a reasonable length; and
- Do not associate Afterboardlcggame with your sponsor in any way.
One last thing—Please don’t pull us into any legal battles! Our lawyers are busy enough. If Afterboardlcggame, our partners, affiliates, or employees get hit with any legal claims, fees, or expenses related to your Fan Content, you’re responsible for paying all of our costs (including attorney’s fees) and any resulting judgment or settlement.